Waitomo Caves and Rotorua including Te Puia - Small Group Tour from Auckland
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Waitomo Glowworm Caves, 39 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Caves 3943 New Zealand
One day tour from Auckland to the geothermal wonderland of Rotorua and the beautiful Waitomo Glowworm Caves.
On this tour you will be picked up from the hotel in our modern, comfortable mini-bus and driven through the stunning Waikato countryside on a fully guided journey to Waitomo Caves. During the journey to Waitomo you will encounter New Zealand's longest river, beautiful mountains and see several different farm animals along the way.
Once in Waitomo you will explore the ancient and amazing caves with many different cave formations including Stalactites, Stalagmites and Lime Columns before descending even further underground for your Glowworm experience. Board your Glowworm boat for a cruise on the grotto river with thousands of Glowworms above you. Unique for New Zealand for over 120 years, Waitomo Glowworm Caves are a ‘must see’ for any traveller.
We continue our adventure with another fully guided journey south to Rotorua with many more attractions to see along the way, including hydro dams, rivers and more animals. Once in Rotorua we will guide you past many of its famous and historical sites including Lake Rotorua, The Government Gardens, Blue Baths, Thermal Springs and Polynesian Spa. From here we head to one of the most famous attractions in New Zealand, Te Puia Geothermal Park. Once inside the park we stop for lunch and we highly recommend trying the traditional Maori Hangi meal.
After lunch we set off for a fully guided tour around this amazing park to see it's geothermal and cultural wonders. You will see Pōhutu Geyser, Maori Architecture, the Maori craft school, geothermal craters, geothermal vents and even the chance to view a kiwi bird in the kiwi viewing house.
Finally, our guides will take you for some discounted souvenir shopping in town before heading back north on a fully guided drive back to Auckland.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Lake Rotorua, Rotorua New Zealand
See beautiful Lake Rotorua as part of your Rotorua City Highlights Tour.
Pass By: Rotorua Museum, Oruawhata Drive Government Gardens, Rotorua New Zealand
See Rotorua Museum as part of your Rotorua City Highlights Tour.
Pass By: Blue Baths, Government Gardens 1 Queens Drive, Rotorua 3010 New Zealand
See the stunning art deco architecture of Rotorua's Blue Baths as part of your Rotorua City Highlights Tour.
Stop At: Te Puia, Hemo Road, Rotorua New Zealand
Entry and a fully guided tour around Te Puia Geothermal Park and the Maori Arts and Crafts School is included in the cost of your tour.
Duration: 2 hours
- Fully guided small group return tour from Auckland
- Hotel pick ups and drop offs (specific central Auckland hotels only)
- Pohutu Geyser
- Te Puia Maori Village & Arts & Crafts School
- Kiwi Bird House
- Waitomo Caves Glowworm Grotto boat ride
- Refreshments and snacks whilst driving
- On screen entertainment during the drive
- Multiple stops to purchase food, buy souvenirs or take photos
- Wifi and charging ports available in vehicle
- Transport in modern and comfortable minibuses
- Add Maori Hangi Buffet Lunch for $35 per person (additional cost)
- Add Te Puia Maori Cultural Show for $25 per person (additional cost)
- Entry/Admission - Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Entry/Admission - Te Puia
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Souvenirs (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately and wear comfortable footwear.
- Children below 5 years old are required to travel in a child safety car seat. If you don't have a car seat one can be rented from us for $50 per child (with 24 hours notice). Children between 5-7 years old are also recommended to be in a booster seat for their safety.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
Lance and Jack were our tour guides. We were the only two on the tour. As a result, Lance showed us what he thought we would like to see. He also asked what we were interest in and planned the tour according to our interests. Waitomo Caves (Glow Worms) were worth seeing. These caves are millions of years old. We also went to a cultural center where we learned about the people and their culture. Trip was very interesting. I highly recommend this tour.
Loved the beauty and natural wonder of both destinations. we had two different drivers...?they switched... the driver from aukland to the worm caves was quiet and didn’t provide much info. After the switch our new driver was talkative and a much better guide/driver to Rotorua and the rest of day. She definitely made it extra special!
While our guide was excellent, the experience at Waitomo was awful. My wife fell while in the cave because they turned off the light. The guide did not show any concern about her condition but continued cajoled the others in the group. For folks with limited night vision, this tour is dangerous. There were no guardrails in the unlit portion of the cave tour.