Dagstur fra Christchurch til Mount Cook
A short stop at either the Tin Shed (an old shearing shed selling discount sweaters) or at Barkers Winery for tastings of wines, sauces and jams. Continuing through the foothills of the Southern Alps from Geraldine to Fairlie and through the MacKenzie Basin, with its brown snowgrass-covered landscape which has an almost desert like aspect, to Lake Tekapo. There is the opportunity to take an idyllic photograph of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Lake Tekapo with its backdrop of magnificent alpine scenery.
Next, it's onto Lake Pukaki where the Tasman Valley opens into the MacKenzie Basin with Mount Cook and the surrounding snow covered peaks in the background. Lunch is at the Hermitage in the Mount Cook National Park. Following lunch an alpine flight over the National Park can be arranged with Mount Cook Airlines (optional at additional cost, payable direct). Glacier landings by ski planes are also available (optional at additional cost, payable direct).
Next, you'll explore the Tasman Glacier where a twenty minute climb by foot will take you to the top of the terminal moraine, this vantage point provides views of both the Tasman Glacier and the newly formed Lake Tasman. Return by coach in the afternoon, stopping at the Canterbury high country town of Fairlie for late afternoon tea.
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Please note Tasman Glacier viewing walk is subject to weather conditions on the day of travel which due to the mountains and altitude is very changeable. Should this walk not be available due to weather then the tour will visit the Mount Cook Edmund Hilary Center at the Hermitage
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
Beautiful scenery and overall wonderful day. Small size of the tour made it very special. Loved taking the short hike to see more of the area!
This was a wonderful trip! The route design is very well, take you to the most beautiful place in NZ.
I didnt do that trip!!!!
The tour overall was superb. It's a long day but a lot is packed in. The day started off rainy so I wasn't sure how much we would see but as the day went on, the sun came out and once we got to Mount Cook National Park it was beautiful. I really enjoyed that part of the day and the climb up to see the Tasman Glacier was amazing. Our guide was also helpful along the way. I was expecting a little more direction throughout the day and timings weren't particularly clear. The microphone system also didn't work very well meaning we missed some of what he was telling us - I like to know as much as I can about the places I'm visiting so that was a bit frustrating. Overall though, a superb day.